Saturday, September 26, 2009

Canadian Paradigms

As a continuation from classes in our second week, we discussed many of the functionalist theorists. We were also briefly introduced to three Canadian paradigms of functionalism. Unfortunately like many other Canadian aspects, theorists and ideologies, they are often pushed away and not given any proper recognition. With a class of about 30-40 people, some of whom had taken previous sociology classes, only 2-3 people had heard of these theorists. We discussed Harold Adams Innis, Marshal McLuhan, and George Grant. These were three professors (George Grant was a student of the first two) who never got the students that they deserved simply because they were Canadian. Anyone who was seen as a good theorist of functionalism was taken to schools such as Harvard. As these Canadians have been put aside, I would like to write a bit about each of them to show the work that they created.

Firstly, Harold Adams Innis (1894-1952) was a Canadian professor at the University of Toronto and was the author of many works on media and economic history. He was originally influenced by James Ten Broeke, a philosopher at McMaster University. Harold was enlisted in the war where he was sent to France in 1916 to fight in the First World War. As his interests widened, he wrote a novel called The Fur Trade in Canada: An Introduction to Canadian Economic History. The book discusses the trade in beaver fur. He believed that the fur trade largely determined Canada's boundaries. He noted that it was not because of Geography that made Canada; rather he interpreted the importance of the fur trade.

Second, Marshal McLuhan was a Canadian English professor. He was known for being very enticed to the study of media theory. His most important piece of writing was published in 1951 titled The Mechanical Bride. He discusses the persuasions that come along with popular culture and how people are influenced by it. In the fifties, he also predicted and explained his theory about the internet. His saying was always that “the medium is the message” when he was trying to explain the internet.

Lastly, George Grant (1918-1988) was a Canadian philosopher, and teacher. He is considered one of Canada’s most original thinkers. The amount of information on George was the least out of the three, which shows more how much these individuals were not properly appreciated. He is the student of both of the teachers above. Similar to Marshal McLuhan, he was also interested in the media. The most notable thing that he was known for is the Red Toryism.

I am sure that I could go on forever about all of the things that each of them accomplished, but that would take forever, as I would probably end up writing a whole book. Looking through all of the novels that they wrote and their life stories about growing up, education, etc, they definitely did accomplish a lot. It is sad to see that a lot of their stuff was not produced or recognized because they were Canadian.

It really bothers me that people do not appreciate some of the work that is accomplished by Canadians. There are even some Canadians who feel ashamed when they find out that something is Canadian. For example, movies, authors, etc. One thing that really bothers me at the moment is that I am in a class right now that is taught by an American professor. Whenever she brings up statistics, facts, etc, it always is related to the U.S.

(Much of the information that was given here was off of Wikipedia. Check out their pages on Wikipedia to find out even more interesting information.)

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's hear it for Canadian content!

    I agree with you that Canadians, at times, do not get the recognition they deserve. Hopefully, this information will encourage and may delight you. I was one of the two or three students that raised his hand to acknowledge that I had heard of Innis and McLuhan. You might be surprised but I did not learn about these theorists from a previous sociology class. I first learned about Innis in first year Canadian history course. Innis’s staples thesis is valuable in understanding the development of the Canadian economy and shades light on the roots of regional discontent within Canada. The second time I encountered the work of Innis was when I was first introduced to the work of McLuhan. I was taking a graduate level history course titled Cultural Topics in Canadian History. The topic just happened to be communication. The professor who taught the course had just finished a book on culture and communication in Canada and essentially used the research from his book to guide the course. Great class. The professor was Gerald Friesen and the book is titled Citizens and Nation: An Essay on History, Communication, and Canada. (click for a review of Citizens and Nation)
    So when you write “These were three professors . . . who never got the students that they deserved simply because they were Canadian”, you might be happy to know that my professor is still learning from the theories of Innis and McLuhan, and for those eight months, my classmates and I were their students as well.
    One last point that is worth noting: students studying communication are still reading McLuhan. I visited a friend in Austria this summer. His wife is perusing a degree of some sorts in communication. Sure enough, when he and I were out rafting she stayed at home and read one of McLuhan’s books.
    I believe that the works of Innis and McLuhan have not been neglected or overlooked. Citizens and Nation shows that new and innovative research is being conducted with a little help from the theories of Innis and McLuhan.

    As for Grant . . . well . . . I had never heard of him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,

    Thanks for that information. That is good to hear that their theories are still being used. I don't necessarily think that they have been overlooked, but they are when compared to exposure that an American would receive. As well, Grant has been very neglected compared to these two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do think us, as Canadians need to be a little more excited about our accomplishments. I do think that it is almost a Canadian way to be really humble and not boastful; however, I do think we need to give each other credit when credit is deserved.

    As for a teacher using American statistics I wonder if that is more about the handiness of the research or maybe the researcher (group that did the research) themselves? I know sometimes I have struggled to find Canadian statistics, granted I know I am a horrible researcher but maybe you (or we) should inquire as to why it is not Canadian research when most of us are going to be teaching in Alberta and I think I heard a few in British Columbia and Saskatchewan.

    Furthermore, I am thinking that maybe we should be looking more at our statistics, we aren't America, I don't think most of us aspire to be America. Not that I have anything against them, I got my first degree from a school in America but I think we should start being a bit more independent. We see flaws in that society so we should make sure not to copy those.

    In social class we look at case studies so we don't repeat similar mistakes, yes, these are from the past, but why don't we do a case study of current USA? Try not to repeat the mistakes they currently are making and have made in the recent past.

    We are a different country than USA, so we could easily have differences in statistics about issues in education or other things.

    Trista, really glad you pointed this out. I had never even considered the issue of showing us statistics that are just from the USA and not Canada.

    ReplyDelete